Last week I needed a little breather.
So I took myself to a late breakfast at a local cafe in my town. It’s decorated by someone who has never seen an episode of HGTV with its golf wall paper and golf art. The room is usually a quarter full. And all of those dining are retired folks.
But I like it. I like the sounds and smells of any place where the locals go to eat something a little more hearty than a bowl of Wheaties and a cup of Dannon.
Being at this cafe makes me happy. Happy enough that I go by myself. And I never eat out by myself. Ever. But for breakfast…that’s different. I always take my notebook, a pen, and a book. And somehow, in the bacon-scented air, I find a little peace and inspiration.
I like this place because:
1. I never run into anyone I know. Never have to talk. I sit in the same weirdly placed table that gives me a bird’s eye view of everyone, but is mostly out of sight.
2. The smell of coffee
3. Having someone else cook your breakfast is a total indulgence
4. You can listen to conversations and blatantly eavesdrop.
5. Community regulars. Friends. Tradition. The Every Wednesday the crowd looks different from The Every Thursday crowd.
6. Strawberry jelly on cheap white bread toast
7. 75 and older crowd. No care for attire. Lots of Keds, sandles & socks, Alfred Dunnar togs, and hair that told Miss Clairol goodbye years ago.
8. People watching. The way the 30-Something Guy walked to his table and gave me the “Hey, you’re too young to be here” nod. And I lifted my chin and said, “Right back at you.”
9. Listening to the different laughs in the room. It’s the best sound in the world.
10. Fall trees outside the window. Red and orange are my favorite.
11. The vibe of a room full of people with nowhere to be, no rush to leave, their cell phones not a thought, just enjoying the moment. This sort of energy usually makes my eyes a little misty. Or maybe it’s the bacon.
12. The couple beside me who got up and left at the same time without saying, “Are you done?” “Yes, I’m done.” Because maybe after 50 years together you know what your spouse’s happy plate looks like.
It was a very good day.
So where do you go–a place that always makes you happy?
For some additional happy, you can win a copy of There You’ll Find Me HERE.
You might also like
|Vacation Over Returned to work today after a (nearly) two week break. A break in which I stayed up VERY late and slept...||It Seemed Like a Good Idea At the Time I'm a very independent person. But sometimes not as independent as I think I am. For instance, I don't...||It’s a Nugget Revolution It's Easter Sunday as I write this, and I'm sitting here in a gluttony-induced coma. Speaking of eating...||Long Time, No Blog I'm hoping to finish a book this weekend, so I've been a horrible blogger. And absolutely nothing exciting...|