“The soul craves beauty.” -Thomas Moore
I am beyond shocked at the news of one Ms. Whitney Houston. What a voice. Hearing her was like having church. I always loved to hear her do gospel.
It’s sad to lose the 80s. One piece at a time.
On to happier news.
I am on the verge of getting a snow day.
Except I’m afraid there’s some pain attached to that as well. Let me give you a transcript of today’s conversation with my family:
Aunt: Did you all go to church today?
Me: Yes. I need to kiss up to Jesus. I’m asking for snow.
Mom: I went. I’m also kissing up to Jesus. I’m asking Him for no snow.
Me: You two have a good night. Get all your groceries because it’s going to snow.
Mom: I’m praying it doesn’t.
Aunt: And I’m joining her. So that’s two against your one. We cancel out your snow dance.
It goes without saying that I’m hurt and confused. My own flesh and blood speaking to me like this. Trying to crush my icy dreams. We’re probably going to need some family counseling after this. And by counseling, I mean my mom’s gonna have to bake me a lot of cookies to heal this rift. It’s scenes like this why families go years without speaking to one another, save for the occasional Dollar Store birthday card. Now I’m probably going to have to spend my whole snow day off praying for the strength to forgive these women who’ve so wronged me. But I dunno. That will have to go pretty low on the Snow Day to-do list that’s already pretty full.
Snow Day To Do List
1. Get magical phone call: “School is closed.”
2. Smile and giggle
3. Giggle some more
4. Throw a cat off my face; sleep in
5. Eat breakfast while watching TV, checking Facebook, composing emails thanking the weathermen, and playing Scramble with Friends.
6. Eventually brush teeth and throw hair in ponytail
7. Check snow for sled depth
8. Drink cocoa
9. Read a book
10. Watch some Bravo
11. Lunch No. 1
12. Put Crisco on sled and attach propane pack to back of “White Thunder”
13. Watch some HGTV
14. Lunch No. 2
15. Sled until extremities get dangerously tingly
16. Read a magazine as I thaw
17. Watch some TLC
18. Call some friends at work and remind them I’m still in my pjs
19. Do Snow Angels then, inspired, come in and write Precipitation Poetry
20. Scrapbook Precipitation Poetry
21. Contact Pulitzer committee again about opening up new category in literature
22. Check email to see if I failed to brag about day off to anyone
23. Throw snow balls at neighbor kids
24. Deny throwing snow balls at neighbor kids
25. Forgive my family for mean things
I hope you have a great Monday.
I know I will!
You might also like
|Videos Make Me Happy First of all, don't forget you can win copies of Just Between You and Me HERE on my blog and HERE on...||Writing and Reading YA First of all, let me say I am a delicate Southern flower and not created to withstand weeks of drought...||Crazy In Mass Quantities I'm writing this from study hall (again). Â My students will NOT shut up. If I've said, "Shhh" once,...||Spring Break Randoms Hey, friends and random spammers! I've missed you. What have you been up to? It's Spring Break in my...|