The Summer (non)Style Report

Summer…it's almost here. I still don't get out for a few weeks, but I can see the light. I'm already transitioning into my summer sleep hours. Last night I went to bed at midnight. Just because I wanted to. And this morning I barely woke up. And thought my summer transition thing was the dumbest thing ever.

My attitude definitely lightens up in the summer. No papers to grade, no detention slips to write, no classrooms to hide in when the principal goes door to door looking for jeans violators. . .

My closet definitely signals the coming of summer. (It also signals a tornado, but that's not exactly relevant.)

I finally got “hip” and got some of these sandals.
P1060137
While I think these type of shoes are really cute, I have avoided them for at least a year because they make my toes mad. But I caved and got some this week anyway. I don't understand why we women do this to ourselves. In some countries these shoes would be called torture devices. But they look good. I'm wearing them next Saturday to Teen Mania at the Springfield library. If you live anywhere near Springfield, MO, you should clear your calendar, grab your own uncomfortable shoes, and join us. YA authors Brent Crawford, Holly Schindler and Brian Katcher will also be there.

I got my new summer polish for the at-home pedicure. I saw this color in Shape magazine and had to have it.
114D2F-ymfL._SL500_AA300_
It's OPI's A Good Man-Darin Is Hard To Find. (Isn't it, though? A ripe papaya isn't that easy to happen upon either.) (And by the way, don't be impressed that I read Shape. I also read cookbooks. . .) I have a really bad habit of buying nail polish from basically four color families: pink, fruit punch, violet, red. So when I get the new polish home, I put it in a drawer where it sits next to six other bottles that look just like it, minus some small difference only visible to one with a bionic eye.

I got myself a yellow purse.
51uu1V0JmLL._SL500_AA300_
That's not it, but you get the idea. Last winter Kelly Ripa said “For spring and summer, yellow is the new black.” So I paid attention. I switched from boring brown to cheery yellow yesterday. The problem is, the only things that fit in it is my Burt's Bees lip balm, two quarters, and one half of my sunglasses. But I look good. I mean, who cares if the thing won't zip, and I leave a trail of all my personal effects? Who needs a drivers license?

I also bought these, but they're going back.
shoes_iaec1201855
Sanuks. Have you tried these? They are very, very comfy to stand in. They're made of recycled yoga mats. But they're almost a little too cushy, if that's possible. Kinda heavy. But really cute. I like my Yellow Box sequin flops better. They look fancier under the disco ball.

Finally, I've picked my summer song.

Yes, I've caved on Ke$sha too. I was NOT a fan. Then I heard her interviewed on Ryan Seacrest's radio show, and she was just so…self-aware. He asked her about criticism for her silly lyrics, and she said she wrote all of them and had written some hits for others. She's actually been in the biz for a while. And she said she didn't care about the criticism because fun was her theme. She wanted to write from the POV of her age. Totally respect that. “I like your beard.”

Hey, the sweet and talented author Nicole O'Dell reviewed So Over My Head for SheReads. They're giving away the complete set of A Charmed Life books, so run over there and get in the drawing.

So what's something you've bought or want to get to usher in summer? A snow cone? A new beach towel? Some Coppertone? A new book? Let me know!

brenda - May 28, 2010

I bought an iphone so I can take my tunes with me wherever I go and a sporty arm band to hold it while I’m at the gym, er, beach 🙂

vanessa - May 28, 2010

Oh, dearest Jen, MY BOOK STILL HASN’T COME!

Love,
your own personal grasshopper

Tammy - May 28, 2010

I love Kesha!!! Her songs are so catchy 😀
I just bought a bag to, but it’s white instead of yellow and I love it 🙂
I really want a pair of those cute sandels!! I keep seeing them everywhere but I just haven’t bought me some yet 🙂 have a great weekend Ms Jenny 🙂

Julie Jarnagin - May 28, 2010

Cute stuff – especially the purse!

hannah - May 28, 2010

i like the shoes. my friend has the same pair. she wore them to the dance at our school last week. they decided to teach us how to dance at the dance, and most of us had never danced before so we were running into other couples and stepping on toes. pretty much chaos. i danced with one guy who spun me until i got really dizzy. he was a like a pro at dancing and he was constantly correcting me. so annoying. but fun. in a way. 🙂

kesha is so strange. its pretty much a hobby trying to decode her lyrics. she apparently likes guys with beards. 🙂

Sarah - May 28, 2010

I totally heard that song on the way to work today and I really liked it. I’m not a big fan of Tik Tok or Tick Tock (or however it’s cool to spell it!)

Cute shoes-you will look fashionable at our author event-can’t wait!:)

ashley - May 28, 2010

i love those sandals! The remind me of that Pepsi commercial when Brit-Brit, Pink and Beyonce were about throw some ‘bows at the Roman Colosseum. Yellow is my favorite color and I want to be Kelly Ripa. And lastly, Kesha is having a benefit concert in Nashville since she be done growd up here and I totally want to go – just to hear that one song. Am I too old? Neva.

Rebecca - May 28, 2010

I love those silver sandals you brought. Too cute 🙂

Rachel B. - May 28, 2010

I found a cool deal at Barnes and Noble last week, buy any two items in the store and get a beach bag (your choice out of a variety of 4 designs) for $9.95 (otherwise marked at $19.95) so, I bought two books I had been wanting to read, along with the cute beach bag.

Cute purse, and sandals, by the way!

Kristin - May 28, 2010

I haven’t really done anything to usher in summer yet. I did order a book, an Alfred Hitchcock movie, and a few seasons of “The Dick Van Dyke Show” online today, if that counts. =)

Tracy - May 28, 2010

You are so totally cool….cute stuff! What do I buy to usher in summer? Hmmmm….I think the answer must be camping stuff. Because the minute school and Christmas are done with, we go camping (in caravan parks) with friends for a few weeks.

And last year I got a little hip myself and bought “Havaiana” brand thongs…footwear. Yep…I looked like I belonged in summer.

Evangeline Denmark - May 28, 2010

I just got my first pedicure of the summer. Got a dark purple color called Where Is My Limo?, which is something I ask every day.
I also bought my first bottle of Jergen’s Natural Glow. Despite having dark, easily-tannible skin, I do not like to be outside and therefore must fake it.
Loved your summer choices! =)

Suzanne Schaffer - May 29, 2010

I bought my teenage daughter a new swim suit. And shorts. And shirts. And everything else she “neeeeeeeeeeds” for camp. And I paid for camp too.

No time to shop for me.

Annie - May 29, 2010

Those are super cute shoes!

And I’m thinking a new swimsuit would be nice. But oh-so-expensive. So that might have to wait, especially since I have a perfectly good one right now.

Lindsay - May 31, 2010

I just bought myself an ipod. I cannot wait to layout and go running with it this summer…hopefully it will be my motivation. I also bought these awesome shoes from payless. They’re yellow with stripes and a big flower in the top. I’m waiting for the perfect opportunity to debut them.

Laura - June 1, 2010

Oh Definately a snow cone haha Ke$ha has really catchy songs! Its impossible to get the things out of my head (curse the day my sister learned how to use a radio). haha I planned on reading So Over My Head for my summer reading stuff but I bought it and kinda read it in two days -oops-

Haley - July 24, 2010

Love that purse! Even if it isn’t the one you bought, it’s adorable. Where is that one from?! Might have to look into it myself!