Help Us Choose a Title!

1022921_rodin_thinker_silhouette

Happy Thanksgiving, Canadian friends! Eat some turkey and take a nap for me!

It's time to put on your thinking caps.  In Save the Date, my leading dude Alex has a seventeen year old sister, and she gets her own book later next year. We are trying to come up with a title for Finley's book and need your help. My publisher Thomas Nelson would like you to vote on two title possibilities. So, sure, you could just close this post and move on to The Pioneer Woman or Meg Cabot's blog. But what would George Washington want you to do? Is avoiding the voting booth the American way? Exercise the freedom and liberties that our forefathers fought for by chiming in on the title of this novel. But don't do it for me. Do it…for this great nation.

First, a little 4-1-1. Still reeling from the disappearance of her older brother (edit: WHO IS NOT ALEX), Finley is not exactly in the traveling mood when her parents put her on a plane to Ireland for a foreign exchange program. Once she lands, she finds out her plans have been changed. Now, instead of staying on a duke's estate, Finley be staying with the O'Callaghan family, who are bumbling their way as they try to run the old B&B they just inherited. While Finley loves the family, she doesn't love their handyman, ruggedly handsome senior Thomas Roark, and the feeling seems to be mutual.While working on the B&B, the two are constantly in each other's paths…and constantly at each other's throats.

At school, Finley is immediately welcomed by the coolest clique, the Poshes, yet the group isn't as welcoming to Finley's host sister, Erin. When they finally let Erin in the group, Finley realizes it comes at a cost–and one that could do serious harm to Erin.

Finley is angry at God for taking away her brother, angry at the world for expecting her to just carry on, and angry at herself for having no clue what she wants to do when she graduates after this senior year. And now the English teacher expects her to complete a major project before she can have her diploma.When Lucy's assignment takes her to a nursing home, she must “adopt” a cranky old woman, one FINLEY  discovers, who isn't what she seems. As FINLEY  stumbles on Mavis's deep secret, Finley grudgingly goes into action to give Mavis her dying wish–whether the woman wants it or not.

As Finley  struggles to make sense of her brother's death, she receives his travel journal and decides to visit every one of her brother's favorite Irish destinations. Unfortunately, she needs Thomas's help for this, and the two strike a tentative deal. Finley falls in love with the country and stumbles upon pieces of herself in the process. Throughout her journey, God sends Finley messages in the most unexpected ways, through the most unlikely people. Can Finley Sinclair let go of her grief and fear. . . and let God back into her life once again?

After reading the preview, what title do you like best?
There You'll Find Me
Without You
pollcode.com free polls

So please vote! And just for kicks, leave a comment about why you made that particular selection, whether it's, “This was the victor of rock-paper-scissors.” Or, “This title changed my life just by letting my eyes roam across the words.” We'd love to know what you think.
And thanks for your support and exercising your civil duty to vote. My publisher thanks you, I thank you, and…America thanks you.
I'm Jenny B. Jones, and I approved this poll.

P.S. Check out this new Chris Tomlin worship song.

Deanna - October 11, 2010

I picked There You’ll Find Me because it was more positive than Without You. Without You sounded sad to me. Plus by reading the storyline, I felt like it would fit better. Those are my reasons. Hope this poll helps b/c it was tied when I voted!!

Jenny B Jones - October 11, 2010

Thanks for weighing in, Deanna! And the tone of the book is different. It’s a little more serious this time around.

Diana - October 11, 2010

There You’ll Find Me because when I did an online search this title did NOT show up; thereby making it unique. Also, I agree with Deanna about it sounding more positive than the second choice.

Katie - October 11, 2010

I really liked both of them, but I think There You’ll find Me gave a tone of hope that the other title didn’t seem to have. I’m really looking forward to reading it!

Lynnette - October 11, 2010

My daughter, almost 13, and I both agree that the title should be “There You’ll Find Me.” This title is much more positive and drawing. Good luck! We look forward to reading it!

Shauna - October 11, 2010

I voted for Without You because it reminds me of U2, and “There You’ll” is kind of a tongue twister.

Whitney - October 11, 2010

Are Finley and Lucy the same person? I figure they are, but I thought I’d double check!

The book sounds amazing! Cannot wait to read.

Sarah Varland - October 11, 2010

I like There You’ll Find Me. It draws me in and makes me want to know more, whereas Without You sounds sad and therefore doesn’t interest me as much.

Wow, it does sound great! Can’t wait to read it.

Abby - October 11, 2010

The older brother that dies isn’t the main dude from the last book, is it? Cause that would be really sad.

Christa Allan - October 11, 2010

I ditto all the other reasons for There You’ll Find Me.

Cara Putman - October 11, 2010

Like There You’ll Find Me since it reflects the journey Finley is on to find herself.

Nicole O'Dell - October 11, 2010

I voted for TYFM too. Mainly because the acronym is way better than WY. KWIM?

😉

Jenny - October 11, 2010

I picked TYFM because I liked the way it sounded better than the other. Not a deep reason or anything specific – just liked the way the words flowed. After voting and thinking through it, I like it that the me could be herself, her brother, a love interest, or Me (with a capital M). All of the above or maybe even none of the above.

Love your blog. It brings a smile to my face every time.

Mikael - October 11, 2010

You said that Lucy is going to visit every one of her brother’s favorite Irish destinations. She also incounters many unlikely people who are sent from God in unexpected ways. At her brothers favorite destinations she will find God and the beauty that her brother adored. Through all of the people, God is working to help Lucy cope with the loss of her brother. Therefore i vote “There You’ll Find Me”. In God, in the people, in Ireland.

Kristin - October 11, 2010

I was wondering the same thing as Abby. That would be sort of depressing. =)

I voted for “There You’ll Find Me” for the reasons that everyone else stated…it sounds better and it sounds more positive.

lillian - October 11, 2010

wihout you sounded sad. THE BOOK SOUNDS GREAT!! 😀

Janna Ryan - October 11, 2010

I voted for There You’ll Find Me – it is more unique.

vanessa - October 11, 2010

I voted for There you’ll find me. It sounds more creative, and brighter. Sounds like a good book! 😀

Moriah - October 11, 2010

It was a close call for me but I voted on “Without You” because I think Finley realizes how hard it is without leaning on God, and also how hard it is without her brother. That’s my take but both choices are great to me!

Linnéa - October 11, 2010

I picked “There You’ll Find Me” for all of the reasons above and it is just more fitting for a book about self discovery. I’m also with Abby on wanting to know if Alex is the brother who dies, and that WOULD be sad. It still sounds like a good book, though. 🙂

Erin McFarland - October 11, 2010

I picked There You’ll Find Me because Without You got me humming that U2 song. Not that I don’t like that song, but I think i will start humming it every time i picked up the book. Any song turns sour on a loop. BUT it will be read by me regardless… you could call it Vomit on the Rug and I would still dive in with a happy smile.

Jerica - October 11, 2010

I voted for “There You’ll Find Me” because it’s unique sounding and draws you in! “Without You” just sounds to me like a dead end. Although the story may be fantastic, if it had title such as the later, I’m afraid I wouldn’t be too excited to pick it up and read it.

Rhonda - October 11, 2010

I picked There You’ll Find Me. It hints at a journey or quest. It sounds more intriguing.

Jenny B Jones - October 11, 2010

Wow, thanks, guys. Really helpful.

Suzanne Schaffer - October 11, 2010

There You’ll Find Me for me too. I love that she’s searching for God and the title speaks that very clearly.

Erin - October 12, 2010

I voted “There You’ll Find Me” mostly to protest “Without You,” ditto the U2 association and the ubiquitousness of it mentioned above. I did have the same question as Whitney, though, regarding whether Lucy and Finley are the same person? I’m getting a name-was-changed-at-some-point-in-the-writing-and-either-search-and-replace-or-Jen-failed-to-find-every-instance-of-the-original-and-change-it-in-every-document-that-the-back-cover-copy-was-pulled-from vibe here. 🙂

Erin - October 12, 2010

p.s., that’s AWFUL, I just double-checked the “Save the Date” teaser, and Alex IS the main guy, and he DIES???? WHY would you TELL us that??? Why would you DO that, Nicholette Sparks???? Don’t expect me to get attached to him in “Save the Date” now, cause I REFUSE!

Ally - October 12, 2010

There You’ll Find Me sounds much more sophisticated and unique. I can’t tell you how many songs and other stuff i find titled ‘Without You’. TYFM has my vote – And no matter what it ends up being called, I’ll be reading it for sure!
Keep it up Jenny 🙂 You’re books inspire me each time I read them.

Jenny B Jones - October 12, 2010

Whoa, okay, sorry for the typos. Any references to Lucy are in error and hopefully all fixed. Lucy is from Save the Date and since I just finished that book, she was in my head. I totally made the new YA book’s synopsis up on the fly, so plenty of mistakes, and of course, nothing is set in stone yet.

Also Alex from Save the Date does not die. Finley has two brothers, but Alex lives to be 100. And still hot.

Jacelyn - October 12, 2010

“There You’ll Find Me” got my vote because it fit better with the wild, romantic, Irish landscape I pictured her in while reading the synopsis. You know the type, hair fluttering in the breeze, bagpipes playing in the distance… 😉

Liv - October 12, 2010

Without you just sounds mysterious. I like it.
I wish you would do a writing contest. Like write about a certain subject you pick and narrow it down to three choices and let blog followers choose which one they like best. Winner gets to be a character in one of your future books. Please consider it.

Wannabe Character,
LGP

Ruth - October 12, 2010

LOVE There You’ll Find Me. Reflects the journeying theme of the synopsis, and perhaps speaks directly to where Finley finds God/life/hope again…?

Hannah - October 12, 2010

I think that There You’ll find me is a better one just because of God sending her messages. I don’t know this for a fact, but it makes me think that she ends up crawling back to God even through everything. . . I’m sure the book will be wonderful and I am dying to read it now!!!

~Hannah~

Allie - October 12, 2010

Without You sounds like something Miley would sing. Ewwww, Miley. And as mentioned above by others, it denotes a happier ending and the reward of seeking God. Everybody likes a little reward, right? (I’m going to go get myself a cookie for writing this comment, now…)

Macy - October 12, 2010

TYFM does not attract me to the book! It sounds like an old ladies book. WY sounds like something I would like and buy and I’m sure other girls would feel this way. WY just sounds teenish!:)

Abby Minard - October 12, 2010

I went with There You’ll Find Me. It sounds deeper than Without You, and it kinda seems to match your other titles. Without You is kinda generic. The other one has a little more oomph.

Hannah Y. - October 12, 2010

“There You’ll Find Me” seems to reflect God’s heart toward Finley more than “Without You.” And…TYFM sounds more Irish, which I’m a sucker for. Can’t wait to read the book!

Ashley Clark - October 12, 2010

I chose There You’ll Find Me because, as already mentioned, it sounds more uplifting, and if I hadn’t read the synopsis, I’m not sure I would’ve read “Without You” in the right way… I think it reads like it could be either serious or a bit snarky. But I like both of them and don’t think you could go wrong either way!

Carla - October 12, 2010

I picked “Without You.” I think that “There you’ll find me” sounded more like an inspirational/self-help book. It sounds to me like Finley wants to be a real independent person…and learns she can’t do it all by herself…there for “Without You” is what she learned she couldn’t do the most??? Either way, I have a feeling that they can’t pick a title or release date soon enough! Can’t wait to read it!

Anna Grace F. - October 12, 2010

I voted for “Without You” because somehow it seemed to be the best “synopsis” of the book. She’s making the journey without him so I think that makes the most sense. Plus, “There You’ll Find Me” sounds like a sappy self-help book about personal discovery or something. Also, it makes me start singing “Somewhere over the rainbow”, which, in my opinion, is way worse than singing a song by the awesome U2. This sounds like it will be a really great book whatever the title may be!

Mattie - October 12, 2010

I like There You’ll Find Me. It has a really pretty ring to it 🙂

Lynette Eason - October 13, 2010

Hm…I picked Without You. Must be the suspense writer in me. Who wants positive for a suspense title? Oh…yeah…you don’t do suspense…hm…I think you should call it Ire in Ireland…you know like angry. She’s angry at God, angry at the handyman, angry with life in general…hm…ok, maybe that’s a little tacky. I actually like both titles. 🙂

Joanna - October 13, 2010

I chose There You’ll Find Me because it gives you something to wonder about: where? and who are you and me?

Without Me just sounds depressing and boring.

That is my two cents!

Amy - October 13, 2010

There You’ll Find Me–love that title.

And I am cracking up at the Nicholette Sparks reference! So, so funny.

Megan Reither - October 17, 2010

I chose Without You for the title because I thought the other one sounded to much like on her journey she finds her missing brother…. If she doesn’t find him it might make some of the readers feel jipped….. Anyway I love your work and will read it no matter what the title is…. 🙂