Time Flies When You’re Watching TV

794211_old_t_v_

Can you believe October is almost over? Where has it gone? Where has 2010 gone?

Congrats to Deborah of Books, Movies, and Chinese Food, an excellent review blog. Thanks to Random Number Generator, Deborah won our Barnies gift card for sharing her favorite YA reads as a teen. (Deborah just email me your home addy, girl.)

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED talking YA books. So many of you brought up books that I had totally forgotten about–like Bridge to Terabithia. I definitely remember that one now. Okay, confession, I mostly remember our elementary teachers showing us the movie. I seem to remember watching a lot of movies in elementary school. I should've been a teacher in the 80s…  I think what I loved about Judy Blume was that she was funny and real. Bridge to Terabithia, Where the Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller, and other things we read in those days…sad. As in snot cry sad. I couldn't read Lurlene McDaniel for those reasons either, though she is a fabulous and prolific YA author. I don't know why 80s YA writers wanted to make people cry. 80s TV sure didn't. I grew up on the slapstick comedy of Three's Company and the realistic drama of Dynasty. Both made quite an impact in my life. I don't think TV will ever be as good as it was in the golden 1980s.

1. From Three's Company I learned that when things go wrong, all you have to do is make a funny face and run into a door and fall down, and somehow, 30 minutes later, the problem will be resolved. I also learned that every single time you eavesdrop, you will hear it incorrectly and wind up at the Regal Begal nursing your troubles with your Dickies-wearing landlord and a sloe gin fizz.

2. From Dynasty I learned when you get in an argument with another woman, your choices for a resolution are to slap them in the face or push them into a pool. I also learned the size of your shoulder pads are directly proportional to the number of husbands you've divorced. Just like Alexis Morrell Carrington Dexter Rowan.

3. From Who's the Boss, I discovered that the reason my house isn't clean is because I don't have an Italian man living with me. But for the sake of dust bunny elimination, I have asked for one for Christmas.

4. While watching Punky Brewster, I learned during a special kid-written episode, that I should never close myself in the refrigerator because I could die. It didn't make for a very interesting show, but I think of it every time I want to climb in and spend some quality time with the leftover lasagna.

5. The Facts of Life was a favorite. I remember watching this character named George in the later episodes and thinking, “That guy has got something.”

I also remember asking my mom if I could go to a boarding school because I wanted to be friends with Nat, Tootie, Blair, and Jo. She said, “You know they don't live at home right? They never see their parents?” This changed everything. I was too attached to my mom's homemade mac and cheese to trade it all in for a dorm room and a navy blazer.

6. From Moonlighting, a show about David Addison and Maddie Hayes, I learned that man vs. woman arguments are best resolved when you both talk at the same time. Sadly, I couldn't find a clip of this, but Castle would love to have half the sizzle these two detectives had.

(Forward to minute 4:37 and stop at 5:33)

7. From Kate and Allie I learned if you cheat in college you get kicked out. This literally stuck with me through the 90s. Fortunately, shoulder pads did not.

8. From the Cosby's I learned that if your dad wears ugly sweaters, sometimes people still like him anyway. Especially if he sells Jello pudding pops.

9. I watched Designing Women because those ladies talked like me. Especially Bernice. Who rarely had a clue what was going on.

10. From watching Murder She Wrote, I now know the butler never does it. And every mystery can be solved with a bicycle ride and a few winks to the local sheriff.

11. I adored the Golden Girls. I would watch it with my grandmother and she would cover her mouth when she laughed, look at me and say, “We shouldn't be watching this. This isn't a very nice show.” Then turn up the volume.

12. I learned Fraggle Rock was the rich people's Muppets and taught me I couldn't have everything I wanted. Like HBO.

“I better do like a doozer does and get going.” Good words to live by. You don't learn this stuff with basic cable. Just think how my life could've been different if I had known this 25 years ago.

13. Little House on the Prairie taught me the power of patience. Because I woulda hauled off and decked that Nellie Olson right in the schnoz. And her mother too. Heifers. I also learned living the simple life was more stressful than one would think. Every episode someone died, someone lost a dog, someone learned a lesson, someone got hitched, someone got blind, someone got run over by a wagon wheel, or someone lost their home. It was exhausting.

14. By watching MacGyver I learned if I was stuck in a bad situation I would need a can of hair spray and a piece of gum. Because I would want good hair and fresh breath when I just laid down and died. Problem solving is not my gift.

15. From Hee-Haw I found that you can sing better with big boobs.
(Reason number 293 why I still don't have a record deal.)

So what about you? What were your favorite TV shows growing up? For some of you, that's last week. For some of you bigger girls…a wee bit earlier. Let's hear it!

And finally, I wanted to include the best moment from TV 2010. This is the best thing I've ever seen. From Glee (and rated G. Promise.)

Have a great week!

Kristin - October 25, 2010

As soon as I got home from school, I used to go in my parents’ room and watch TV. First would be “Arthur,” “Reading Rainbow,” and “Zoom!” on PBS.

Then I would watch reruns of “Full House.” It’s still one of my favorite shows, in all of its 90s glory. =) From “Full House,” I learned that whenever you have a heart to heart with someone in your family (which needs to happen every day, or at the very least, four times a week), someone turns on a cheesy music CD in the background to add atmosphere. I also learned that Uncle Jesse looks ridiculously handsome, no matter what. Even when he’s in his bug exterminator uniform.

Deborah - October 25, 2010

First off..wooo thank you!!!

As a kid of 80s and early 90s, TGIF ruled in our house. This meant Full House, Family Matters, Boy Meets World, Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Perfect Strangers. To this day i have no idea why in the world we were allowed to watch that show, thinking back it seemed rather adult and yet we all enjoyed it even though none of us were over the age of 10. Go figure. We didn’t watch much cartoons in our house except The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and The Bugs Bunny and Tweety Show on the weekends. We did watch all the great shows on PBS: Sesame Street, Shining Time Station (what geniuses came up with Ringo Starr and George Carlin (!!!) as kid shows hosts?), Captain Kangaroo, Lamb Chop and sadly Barney. We also loved reruns of The Brady Bunch where I developed a huge crush on Peter Brady and would routinely blow kisses to my TV whenever he was on.

It’s funny though, I’ve been going back and watching DVDs of 80s shows. I am now a huge fan of Murder She Wrote, MacGyver and Magnum PI. Oh Tom Selleck, you and your short shorts and tank tops.

Shauna - October 25, 2010

So funny to see Hee Haw on that list. My favorite show as a kid was The Dukes of Hazzard, but it’s so bad I don’t know what I was thinking. Yeeeeeeee-haw!

Jenny - October 25, 2010

My husband was not an 80s tv addict like myself, so he never enjoys my “remember when” quite enough. This was a shamefully enjoyable post and one I had to chime in on. Two shows it seems I never missed as a child (and here I will agree with Deborah on why in the world they were not forbidden I do not know – my family was very conservative) were The Love Boat and Solid Gold (never Fantasy Island – too spooky). My barbies were forever taking cruises on the Love Boat…set a course for adventure, your mind on a new romance…It was just an excuse to put them in those fancy clothes. This show was full of behavior I never knew was happening until I reflected on it as an adult. But, on The Love Boat, I do recall several married couples reuniting as well, so let’s all just focus on that for now. I still grin when I think of the stars that would guest star, like Charo (anyone remember her?). I thought being Vickie and getting to cruise around with my captain dad would have been a good life. Funny how I overlooked she had no mother, especially since mine was awesome and I still don’t know what I would do without her. Solid Gold…sigh…high heels and lame (and very little of it). A friend and I would dance in her mom’s heels around her living room. Two girls and a dream. I loved the singing and dancing. Good ol’ Dionne.

In my defense, I also loved respectable family shows like Family Ties (starring what I thought might be my future husband…it is the 20 year anniversary of Back to the Future, by the way), The Cosby Show, and Little House (which usually scared me). Designing Women – hilarious!

In a crazy turn of events, I rarely let my children watch anything on TV, and I never watch TV myself (but I am a bit addicted to the internet). Like now, for instance, it is Monday morning with a list as long as my arm of things to do, and I am discussing TV with people I have never met. And smiling the whole time. See why I love the internet?

Deborah - October 25, 2010

oh gosh..how could i forget the other cartoon that we WERE allowed to watch growing up.

MUPPET BABIES!!!!

and i have also now become addicted to the Golden Girls

Hannah - October 25, 2010

I loved Zoom and Arthur and full house!!! 😀 but even though i grew up watching PBS, my mom used to buy growing pains, family ties, and the cosby show. 😛 lol. every night, me and all of my sisters would sit down and watch the shows. our dad would be rolling his eyes, but we loved ’em!!! the shows taught me the importance of family and love and laughing and life. oh, and the adams family. 😀

ashley - October 25, 2010

I am dying over your Who’s the Boss comment.

I need an Italian man to clean after me too. Where do I sign up?

I loved tons of tv growing up and the first one that pops in my mind is “Hey Dude!” from Nickelodeon.

Erica Vetsch - October 25, 2010

Oh, man, the MacGuyver one slayed me!

I learned from watching MacGuyver that with a paper clip, a magnet and some mayonnaise, I could save the world!

That and some guys CAN rock the mullet.

Marybeth Whalen - October 25, 2010

My son has all the seasons of Moonlighting. He’s 14. He says it’s better tv than we have now. He has good taste. And yes, I am raising him right.

jess - October 25, 2010

TGIF ruled our house on Friday nights!!! Oh how I miss Boys Meets World and Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Before that we were all addicted to Who’s the Boss, Full House, My Two Dads (boy could that be a very DIFFERENT show in today’s world),AlF, Charles in Charge, Growing Pains, Roseanne, The Wonder Years and of course the Cosby Show!(We clearly were apart of the TV generation) My younger brother and sister were very into the Simpsons and Ren and Stimpy (WHAT were my parents thinking??). Thanks for the awesome 80’s flashback! 🙂

Jenny B Jones - October 25, 2010

Jess, I loved TGIF!

Marybeth, you are raising that boy up right! I loved Moonlighting.

Erica, I hadn’t thought about that…MacGyver DID rock the mullet! I mean how do you save lives every day AND manage that kind of hair greatness?

Ashley, Hey Dude would be another example of rich people TV. There was no Nick in the Jones household.

Hannah, LOVED Family Ties!

Deborah, Muppet Babies was my favorite cartoon. (After I graduated from the Scooby Doo years) Wasn’t nanny June Cleaver?

Kristin, I loved Reading Rainbow too. Catchy theme song.

Deborah, my whole family gathered for Magnum. My brother still watches it.

Shauna, HOW did I forget Dukes? I watched ALL of those. So did my brother, who then passed the fine tradition on to his 7 year old son.

Jenny, oh my gosh. GOOD ONES! I LOVED the Love Boat. And yes, Fantasy Island was on right after it, and I couldn’t watch it because it creeped me out every time. And I never missed Solid Gold. Except when I was at my grandparents house and turned it on, and my grandpa had a fit and said the dancers were naked. It was flesh-colored leotard night.

Abby Minard - October 25, 2010

Ha, love it! Good advice on the refrigerator thing..I do occasionally want to spend some time with my leftovers in there.

Oh and I LOVED TGIF (which would be more of a 90’s thing, but pretty sure some of those shows started in the late 80’s)

Full House, Saved By The Bell, The Fresh Prince, Blossom, Growing Pains, Family Ties, The Wonder Years, Family Matters, Boy Meets World were all staples in our house.

Macy - October 25, 2010

I don’t mean to make you feel old but when I think of a show growing up I have to go back to when I was two and that would be Barney! When I was young o couldn’t get enought of him! I was addicted! To make me go to sleep my parents sung me Barney and I new every song by heart! When I think back on it I was a loser but oh well! Thanks for being such a good author! You are the only reason I ever read!

Janna - October 25, 2010

Okay – can’t resist adding to this one. My family had a few shows that we would gather around and watch all together (even my dad!) while they included most that have been talked about, there were some that haven’t been mentioned yet (and did I mention that we liked action/adventure?)…

1) The A-Team – I learned tough guys don’t like to fly, a couple costumes can flush out the bad guys and that black van can fly like the General Lee (which brings up…)

2) Dukes of Hazzard – I learned that some shorts really are TOO short, vehicles are apparently supposed to fly, and that Yee-Haw can sound cool from some people.

3) Miami Vice (my husband’s favorite) – I learned that fashion is really a state of mind, some one dies every week and a cool soundtrack covers a multitude of sins.

4) Airwolf – I learned that helicopters are very cool – ’nuff said.

5) Scarecrow and Mrs. King – I learned that living a double life is really cool, no matter how klutzy you are you can somehow save the world and Bruce Boxleitner has great hair.

6) Simon and Simon – I learned that brothers don’t have to look alike in order to love each other.

7) G.I. Joe (Cartoon) – I learned that knowing is half the battle and that no matter how many times you shoot blue and red lasers, no one dies except vehicles and robots.

8) Jem and the Holograms (Cartoon) – I learned that these songs rocked and apparently there are a few things in life that are worth getting up at 7:30 on a Saturday morning for… okay maybe just one.

9) Cheers – I learned that everyone needs somewhere to go where everybody knows your name… NORM!!!

Ruth - October 26, 2010

Congrats to Deborah! 🙂

I ADORE Murder She Wrote! It seems like I always used to be able to find that show in re-runs and now it’s sort of disappeared…sad. :/ I also love the Golden Girls and Fraggle Rock (I’d forgotten about the latter, shocking I know). I also love The A-Team, though I confess I came to appreciate that show in re-runs in the mid-90s. And Kristin, Reading Rainbow – my I loved that show! I think that helped turn me into a bookworm. 🙂

Nicole O'Dell - October 26, 2010

Awesome post!

What was that show with Valerie Betinelli? Oh…Too Close For Comfort.

Has anyone mention Fantasy Island? How about Cheers, Night Court, Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere…

LOVED Moonlighting!

Rhonda - October 26, 2010

The Valerie Bertinelli show is One Day at a Time.