Let’s Talk Christmas Tunes

Happy Monday. This is my last Monday before Christmas break. Thank God. A bunch of you got snow and failed to send it my way. (Insert no snow frownie face emoticon)

Made-for-TV Christmas movie update: ABC Family's Christmas Cupid is a total waste of Chad Michael Murray. Avoid! Avoid! Has anyone watched any good ones? I saw Santa Claus II with my family this weekend, and it's still super cute I think. Love the Tooth Fairy.

I still have Christmas shopping to do, do you? (Please say yes.)  And I haven't even started wrapping. That's a job for December 24th between the hours of 6-11:59 p.m.

During this holiday season, let us not forget out pets. They need to be included too. Or else things like this happen. Look how every time she scolds him, the cat has to shut his eyes. Like, “I block out your soul crushing negativity with my fringie kitty lashes!”  That would be something Miller would do if I put up a tree. Cat is D-U-M-B, but yet he's figured out a way to get water to come out of the bathtub. I think he might be an idiot savant. He can probably do long division in his head.

Speaking of Christmas, I LOVE this Starbucks commercial.

Isn't that so cool–kite snow flakes!!! (Though I wonder what the commercial would be like with cozy, piano-driven Christmasy music.)

I also like this commercial for Coke.

Great music with Train. I think it's really clever, and that Santa looks just like the old Coca-Cola St. Nick.

I just broke out my first Christmas CD yesterday. Straight No Chaser, followed by Sugarland. It was a nice five minutes. So question for the week…what is your LEAST favorite Christmas song? I have too many to name, but I dislike O Christmas Tree and due to a bad choir solo experience, I want to barf every time I hear the much overdone Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire/The Christmas Song. But this one particular song….this one is the worst. Deck the Halls by Manheim Steamroller.

Just the intro alone makes me want to punch my own face. I get Hulk-like feelings, the same way when I hear Kenny G or Sean Paul/Sean Kingston (theory: same guy), or “Butteryfly Kisses.”

What about you? Worst Christmas song ever?

Kristin - December 13, 2010

Worst Christmas song ever: The Christmas Shoes. It’s like the Christmas version of Butterfly Kisses. I have the beginning notes memorized so I can frantically change the radio station when I hear it.

Another horrific one is the one about the guy who meets his old girlfriend in the grocery star and they drink a 6-pack in the car. Cringe. The only Christmas-related part of the whole song is that (I think) it’s Christmas Eve when they meet. Also- any Christmas songs that Willie Nelson sings. He creeps me out big time.

Oh, I love the jazzy Vince Guaraldi Trio version of “O Christmas Tree.” And I love “The Christmas Song,” especially by Nat King Cole. =)

I love that Coke commercial! Apparently, our local movie theater does, too, because I saw it about four times each before both “Tangled” and “The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.”

Anyway, I still have Christmas crafting and Christmas shopping to do. Me and my mom did get a lot of the gift wrapping knocked out yesterday evening, though.

Jenny - December 13, 2010

I am really struggling to come up with a Christmas song I do not like. I was going to say “Carol of the Bells”, but then I remembered that Point of Grace did an amazing version of it that I love. And there is my problem. I have many Christmas CDs and have heard several versions of practically every Christmas song, so I think there is at least one version of each that I like.

I agree with Kristin about the Nat King Cole version of The Christmas Song. Jenny, I think you need to block out the choir experience (I had it with the Hallelujah Chorus until I heard the “real” version as an adult). What is not to love about NKC’s velvety voice?

Laura - December 13, 2010

“Baby, It’s Cold Outside.”

I mean, what’s even the point? It’s so annoying and goes on and on and on…

Hate it.

Darria - December 13, 2010

Oh my gosh. Jenny! How can you dislike Manheim Stemroller? They are brilliant!

my absolute favorite is Carol of the Bells by Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Actually i really like ALL of trans-Siberian. 🙂

My least favorite? uhhh….Mariah Carey’s new Christmas song…I do not remember the name but I just hate that song… 😛

Siri - December 13, 2010

My least favorite Christmas song…well that would DEFINITELY have to be ‘Jingle Bell Rock’.
It used to be one of my favorite songs. Then ‘Mean Girls’ ruined it for me.
Seen that movie? Yeah, bad reminders every time I hear that song now. bleh 😛

Though, it was somewhat redeemed this year by my discovery of Thousand Foot Krutch’s verson (findable on YouTube).

Evangeline Denmark - December 13, 2010

The Christmas Shoes song should be banned. Like Kristin, I frantically change the station when it comes on. I also make very immature barfing noises.

I suggest Relient K’s Christmas album Let it Snow, Baby…Let it Reindeer as a cure for the tired Christmas music blues.

Hannah - December 13, 2010

ooh!! One of the joys of Christmastime! Cute commercials!! 😀 I really LOVE the coca cola one. I seriously think it’s one of my all-time-favorite commercials! (Which is saying a lot) And the Train song makes it better!

And I still have Christmas shopping to do too! I’ve gotten some of it done… but still have some ways to go… I shudder when looking at the calendar to see that i only have about a week and a half left….

Megan Reither - December 14, 2010

I HATE the song grandma got ranover by a reighdeer… It has no point and is idiotic and I find it annoying… Oh well, there are a lot of other good Christmas songs out there.

Erin McFarland - December 14, 2010

I’m gonna have to “like” Kristin’s comment. I was like “yep” “uh-huh” “totally” after reading it 🙂 And I’ll add Santa Baby to the hate list. hate. it.

Mattie - December 14, 2010

I don’t know what these songs are called but the radio station here plays them every fifteen minutes! They get super annoying and I’ve gotten very good and tuning them out.
But my personal favorites are Colorado Christmas and Last Christmas 🙂

ashley - December 14, 2010

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG my sister and I have been discussing this same topic daily for the past week.

I LOATHE “simply having a wonderful christmas time” I dont even know the real name but when that synthesizer comes on a little of my soul dies.

Shauna - December 14, 2010

Another vote for The Christmas Shoes as worst Christmas song ever.

Helen - December 14, 2010

Top 4 Worst Christmas Songs Ever!

1. The Christmas Shoes
2. “Simply having a wonderful Christmas time” (Ashley is so right about the soul dying when I hear this song)
3. grandma got ranover by a reighdeer (again so pointless!)
4. His Favortie Christmas Story by Captial Lights (a song about a guy dying just when he’s about to meet the woman he’s been seraching for 20 years) so depressing!

Bethany Ellis - December 14, 2010

Worst song: Christmas Shoes.
When I was 11 (the song had recently come out and I already didnt like it), a guy at my church decided to sing it and he asked me and three of my friends to do “back up” basically – the part where the kids sing. When I told my mom as we were walking to the car after church, she burst out into extremely loud laughter.

I still have ALL my shopping and ALL my wrapping to do. So don’t feel bad.

By the way, I’m one of those people who got snow yesterday. Wanna know something totally awesome? Last night, as I was driving home in the wonderful world of white, I remembered that in Jr. Church Sunday night, three of the kids prayed it would snow; one specifically asked for it to snow that night/Monday morning. I remember thinking, I don’t think that’s gonna happen (they weren’t forecasting snow, even Monday morning right before it started). God sure showed me; wish I had the faith of a child!

Last year my parents and I saw Manheim Steamroller.
It was like, torture. Wow. I had no idea. They had this faded old picture of brownish grass as their background on this screne, and the songs were soooooo dated. I actually kinda like their Christmas music. But wow. The concert was a crazy experience.

Allie Smith - December 18, 2010

let me think…the WORST Christmas song EVER?i dont even hafta think about that one.the little drummer boy.
ugh,i cant stand that song.every time it comes on i hafta resist the urge to plug my ears and go,”nah nah lala i cant HEEEEARRRR you!!!” every time i hear the,”rum bum bum bum” i just…ugh…cant stand it.