Christmas Tunes of the Holly Jolly Variety

miller c'ms

Hands down, Christmas Shoes was the most detested Christmas tune. Agreed! Agreed! Who in their right mind puts sad, let's go pick out a gravestone for Mommy's Christmas stuff in a song? WHO? If you are interested in breaking into the holiday song business, let's establish some rules we've learned from everyone's comments:

1. Do not run over Grandma.
2.Nobody wants to hear about your Christmas tree. Unless it's a Transformer or something.
3. If they could make a TV movie from your lyrics and it involves cancer, homelessness, or a child selling his soul for a gift, NO! NO! NO!
4. Do not kill mothers. Do not even give her a winter sniffle.
5. Do not sing about orphan children.
6. Nobody should be kissing Santa Claus. I'm sorry your mother is a holiday jezebel, but leave Santa out of it.

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time is awful. Apologies to you Sir Paul loyalists. It sounds like one of those songs you make up in the shower where you sing the same brilliant three lines over and over because that's all you came up with before the shampoo starting stinging your eyes.

I also agree with those of you who are not digging His Favorite Christmas Story by Capital Lights. He goes his whole life without the love of his life then meets her at Christmas in his last days…in a NURSING HOME? What THE HECK? That's Christmas? That makes me want to eat donuts and smash my radio which plays that song NONSTOP on our pop stations and Christian station here. Cannot get away from that.

So new question: Favorite Christmas song? I've said this before, but mine is O Holy Night. I am not the biggest fan of Christmas music, but I love that one. And I like anything that's done differently with new arrangements. (Straight No Chaser is good at this.)  I'm still a  sucker for Wynona Judd's Mary Did  You Know (which is lame, I know), and I like Ring the Bells by Travis Cottrell and Natalie Grant, but I can't find a clip or video anywhere. And looking for that accidentally led me to this awesome song, which is not for Christmas. For old classics I like Mahalia Jackson, who was always on the old albums my mom and I would listen and decorate to.

And this is going to become a new classic for sure:

I think Merna's ticked. Henrietta wore the sweater she had all picked out, but Merna didn't have time to guard her closet because she was making kissy faces at her Rob Lowe posters and Aquanetting her bangs.

So let's hear your favorite Christmas song. And if you pick Christmas Shoes, Santa will never speak to you again.

Bethany Ellis - December 15, 2010

I don’t think I could pick a favorite Christmas song, there are so many amazing ones. Like Breath of Heaven, Welcome to Our World, Emmanuel (MWS), How Many Kings, Strange Way to Save the World…. This year I’m singing Hope Has Kissed the Earth -I LOVE that song, too! Sonicflood’s Christmas album is currently my favorite. 🙂

Jenny B Jones - December 15, 2010

Ohmygosh, Breath of Heaven. Totally forgot that one. I LOVE that one. Such a great reminder of Mary and how she was, in our society, still a child. Yet about to give birth to the King of Kings.

Gina Conroy - December 15, 2010

Favorite? O Holy Night for sure and I also love the song AVE MARIA, though I have not clue what the words are though I am Italian! I’m partial to the old Christmas Caroling tunes like O Come All Ye Faithful. Brings back memories as a child when we went door to door caroling for money…er … blessings which we promptly gave half of to the church one year. Money, I mean. It probably was the same year the tinfoil on my candle caught on fire while singing! O, the memories of being invited INSIDE to sing to a roomful of gawking neighbors. The terror was palpable. Maybe I should write a Christmas song about that!

Lance Albury - December 15, 2010

Favorite: Star (Second Chapter of Acts)

Honorable mention:
The Way He Came (Truth)
Light a Candle (Avalon)
Come on Ring Those Bells (Evie)
The Lamb of God (Donna Summers)

Jenny, Since O Holy Night is your favorite, check out the Martin’s version: beautiful.

Suzanne Schaffer - December 15, 2010

I love O Come, O Come Emmanuel, it has such a beautiful lyric and I may be dating myself here but I think Margaret Becker’s version of it from back in the 80s is the best.

Leah - December 15, 2010

I really like Breath of Heaven too!
And Mary Did You Know.
And like the normal ones, Silent Night,um…I cant think of the others…
Ohmygosh! the video of Henrietta and Merna singing was hilarious! They looked so sad, and a little mad….

Brittaney - December 15, 2010

I love Christmas music. I have over 25 Christmas albums and have a new favorite song every year. My current favorite song is Peace on Earth by Casting Crowns. It is totally reworked and gorgeous! My favorite traditional Christmas songs are O Holy Night and What Child is This.

shabbygeek - December 15, 2010

Ok, my all-time favorite is Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas is You.” And I don’t even care how many people find this song completely annoying. I like to prance around and listen to it while decorating the tree and wrapping Christmas gifts.

I also love O Come, O Come Emmanuel — especially done with a trio of harmonizing singers. Loooove.

I’ve just discovered Dave Barnes music, and he put out an AWESOME Christmas album. You should take a listen to “Christmas Tonight,” which is like, the ANTI-“Baby it’s Cold Outside.” Rather than taking a weird date-rapist approach, it’s all about being lazy and snuggling with your loved one instead of getting all dolled up and going to parties. And I’m lazy and sometimes get tired of the all the obligatory Christmas parties, so this song really resonated with me.

Kristy - December 15, 2010

Happy Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon. Why I love this song, I don’t know, but it’s probably the only Christmas song I like. Oh, and O Come O Come Emmanuel, or whatever it’s called.

Erin McFarland - December 15, 2010

Oh Come Emanuel… JJ Heller
They’ve never done an official recording, but I adore this live version they have on the web.

Darria - December 15, 2010

My favorite Christmas songs…what a wonderful subject.
Carol of the Bells -Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Christmas Canon in D- Trans-Siberian Orchestra
A Baby Changes Everything
Labor of Love
The Magic of Christmas Day-Celine Dion

Tracy - December 15, 2010

To be honest, I’m not the hugest fan of Christmas carols. Has to do with not enjoying having to play them in church (I’ve been a pianst for a long time!).

But I adore ‘Breath of Heaven’. If only I could get a hold of the sheet music I suspect I would drive my family a little nutty!

Jenny B Jones - December 15, 2010

Tracy, 100 years ago I looked for the sheet music as well and never found it. You know it’s gotta be out there somewhere.

Darria, you are a TSO fan!

I agree with you guys-Oh, come, Oh come, Emmanuel is a great one. Especially when done right. One of the versions I like is by Selah.

ShabbyG, Luvvvv Dave Barnes. Have you seen his quirky YouTube clips he does at Christmas?

Brittaney, I have that Casting Crowns cd. (I buy C’mas music. Which is odd since i don’t really care for it.)

Lance, I like the Martins version! I’d never heard that. Awesome harmonies.

Gina, you caroled for cash? Hilarious.

Kristin - December 15, 2010

My favorite Christmas song is “I’ll Be Home for Christmas.” But the weird thing is that I don’t have a favorite version of it…I can’t find one that I really love. Michael Buble’s is good, Bing Crosby’s is good…but I have yet to hear a perfect one. Although the one revolving around soldiers and their families is pretty tear-jerking (is that Josh Groban?).

I also love “White Christmas.” Especially Bing Crosby (duh) and the Drifters.

Another favorite is “I Celebrate the Day” from Relient K’s Christmas album.

Hannah - December 15, 2010

my favorite Christmas song would have to be “Last Christmas” by Wham! I’ve listened to that song ever since I was ten xD Although I really enjoy a bunch of other Christmas songs 😀

By the way, I love the kitty picture!

Kari - December 15, 2010

Henrietta and Merna are amazing! They remind me of what the Judds may have been like if love hadn’t built a bridge. Or maybe if grandpa had ended up with no stories to tell. (I could go on but I will spare you!) Praise the Lord for that video of H and M.

shabbygeek - December 15, 2010

Re: Dave Barnes – YES! As soon as I discovered his music I YouTubed him like a madwoman. I love one particular episode (I think Part 4) where he starts talking about The Police and says, “Police Navidad!” And also when he says “Oranch Jooth” in that hilarious accent. I’m seeing him play this Friday in Memphis. SO EXCITED!

Jenny B Jones - December 15, 2010

Police Navidad. HA! He’s so funny. Love him on Twitter too.

Kari, THAT made me laugh out loud. ..if love hadn’t built a bridge. Will you write my next book? (PS, your daughter says to tell you she loves kitties!)

Hannah, anything by Wham! is awesome.

Kristin, I”ll have to listen to Relient K’s song.

Jenny - December 15, 2010

I love Stevie Wonder’s What Christmas Means to Me. Any song about kissing once and then some more is good. I also love O Come, O Come Emmanuel & so many of the other traditional ones listed that focus more on Jesus & not kissing.

Merna & Henrietta — What.In.The.World.Was.That????

“but Merna didn’t have time to guard her closet because she was making kissy faces at her Rob Lowe posters and Aquanetting her bangs.” Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha. Thanks for the giggles tonight 🙂

Nicole O'Dell - December 15, 2010

Your list is hilarious!!

Allie Smith - December 15, 2010

My favorite all time Christmas song has gotta be Mary Did You Know.especially that part that says,”did you know when you kissed your baby boy,you kissed the face of God.” ahhhhhh…..goosebumps everywhere!!!such a powerful message in that song.
But i gotta say i have a soft spot in my heart for Straight no Chaser’s 12 Days of Christmas.omigosh,have yall seen that on youtube???!!!pure…genius!!!!!we did our own version of the 12 Days in my class.oh wow.that was krazy.my contribution was “9 romance novels.” my teacher rolled his eyes.cant imagine why…
And then there are the classics such as Santa Baby,and I Wanna Hippopotamus for Christmas.cant forget those.

Trudi - December 16, 2010

I love Christmas music, so I really couldn’t join in your previous discussion of least favorite Christmas songs. I honestly listen to it throughout the year! If I have to choose a favorite Christmas song it is “O Holy Night”, and since collecting Christmas music is a hobby of mine, I have 40 different versions of the song–and I love them all! Crazy, right? But my 900+ Christmas songs are on constant rotation this time of year, and I love them all. 🙂

Oh, and well I don’t dislike “The Christmas Shoes” as strongly as some of you do, I did have the unpleasant experience of singing it for our Christmas show years ago. What is it about watching people cry while I’m singing that makes me want to laugh?!?

Kristin - December 16, 2010

“I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas” is definitely one of those quirky classics. =) That and “I’m Getting Nuttin’ for Christmas.”

Erin - December 16, 2010

Andrea Bocelli singing “Silent Night.”

Abby Minard - December 16, 2010

OMG, I hate that christmas shoes song- only because its SO depressing! Christmas songs should not be depressing. I love Carol of the Bells- especially the transiberian orchestra’s version. When I was little I played the violin and envisioned myself playing that song with them. I also love David Bowie and Bing Crosby’s version of Little Drummer Boy…Ooh and Bare Naked Ladies and Sarah Mclachlan’s God Rest Ye Marry Gentleman. Um, yeah, I think that’s it ;p I love listening to christmas music during the holidays!

ashley - December 17, 2010

“Where’s the Line to See Jesus” -Becky Kelley 😉 Hands down, best ever 😉

Nikki - December 18, 2010

“Its About The Cross” by Go Fish. That one is AMAZING. (“Its about the cross, its about my sin, its about how Jesus came to be born once, so that we could be born again…”).

I also love Martina McBride’s Christmas CD – she does all the old favorites in a classic style that’s just beautiful.

I’m a litle afraid to say that I am also a big fan of several versions of Baby, Its Cold Outside. 🙂

Tiff - December 19, 2010

O Holy Night, Stan Walker 🙂 absolutely amazing!

Ruth - December 20, 2010

Okay, I absolutely love that picture of Miller…he seems like he really does have that hat on his head and is responding to the indignity of it all. I need to virtually harrass my cats sometime like that…LOL!

Erin - December 20, 2010

Barlow Girl’s “Carol of the Bells/Sing We Now of Christmas” is definitely my all time favorite!

Sally - December 21, 2010

My favorite is definitely Christmas time is here – Charlie Brown.. But I also recently love any of the song these little kids have to sing cause they are just too cute! http://video.msg.com/Home/MSG-KidCam-Holiday-Songs-Special