Bringing Down the House

As a teacher and/or adult, I know of few things that make me happier or prouder than seeing a kid step into their talent and having the world finally recognize them. When I taught drama, standing ovations were mandatory. I wanted every child to experience that. Because they are good, they are worthy, and they deserved it. And they have the rest of their lives to hear or believe otherwise.

Check out this kid from Britain's Got Talent. I dare you to keep a dry eye.

Wasn't that fabulous? Truly anointed.
That kid's life was just changed–even if no record contract follows. On that stage he was no longer the kid who got bullied, the kid who was fat.
Still the kid who was different. And thank God for it.

Though it's easy to think otherwise, I believe this is how God sees us. He's that proud. That in love with who we are and what we're capable of. He's laughing and clapping and giving us a standing O.
Because you are good. And you are worthy.

Happy Monday.

Allie Smith - March 26, 2012

Wow. That was amazing and so encouraging! I go to school with guys and girls who are amazing people, and yet don’t feel worthy of any kind of praise or special attention. But you’re right, Jenny. Every kid deserves a standing ovation moment…because everyone is unique, having something one-of-a-kind to bring to the table. Thank you for the post! Very uplifting!!!

jada-renee AKA cookie703 - March 26, 2012

love comes from the unloveable. the hurt give the most care. and talent comes from people no one else thought it would come from. nice.

Serena Chase - March 26, 2012

My makeup looked so good earlier. It was awesome, really. Not now. Thanks a lot, Jones.

Aww, I’m kidding. That was beautiful. and your words touched me just as much. Thanks for sharing this!

~Serena

Stephanie Riley - March 26, 2012

Jenny, just as their performance was anointed, so I do believe was your post describing it. That’s what put the tears in my eyes (though the performance was definitely what gave me goosebumps). Thank you!

capillya - March 27, 2012

Tears! Everywhere!!!

Christy - March 27, 2012

I have goosebumps! That was amazing!!!

Leah - March 27, 2012

Wow! that was a beautiful moment, and yes the tears did flow. I hope this moment sticks in this boy’s heart and mind and covers over any cruelty he has had in the past, because he was created a beautiful person with a beautiful gift. The girl did a great job too! I hope she wasn’t hurt by the comments made to her, not cool for them to encourage one kid and then bash the other. Words have so much power. They both were awesome! And what a great friend that girl is too.

Thanks Jenny for sharing such a profound moment. It really touched me. I hope everyone who watched it on tv, in the audience, and on the internet will think twice before judging a person by what they look like, but instead remember every person is special for whoever they are. Inside and out.

Jenny - March 27, 2012

So moving. What a powerful moment in his life. We’ve all had the feeling of not fitting the mold or being what a person “should” be, which is why your words are so touching Jenny. I’m very grateful for the unconditional love of God.

Lisa Buffaloe - March 27, 2012

I am so glad you shared this! Oh my goodness, what a beautiful, beautiful video. Our God is amazing, and His creations are amazing. Oh that we would see with our hearts before we see with our eyes.

Erin McFarland - March 27, 2012

loved this. love that you encourage your students like that too Jenny…that kind of encourage is huge in a kid’s life

Robin Stevens - March 29, 2012