A Little Help From My Friends

I’m So Sure, book two in A Charmed Life series, will be out within a matter of weeks. Very excited about that!  But in the meantime, the creative folks at Thomas Nelson are working on the cover for book three, So Over My Head. We would love your opinion.  The book should fit into the cover series with So Not Happening which you can see HERE and I’m So Sure which looks like THIS.

First, let me give you a brief, unpolished rundown of book three. A circus rolls into town and a star is murdered. Of course, Bella cannot keep her manicured hands off, so she and some friends get a job working at the circus so they can investigate further. Bella cannot rest until she knows who committed the foul crime. and unfortunately the key witness–the victim’s collie–is missing. And if it’s not enough to solve deadly mysteries, Bella’s father is getting married and someone must stop this wedding. Something just does not add up with daddy’s fiancee, and Bella figures she’s the only one who can save the day. And did I mention Luke’s ex-girlfriend has moved back to Truman? Clearly Bella is in way over her head.

And now…the cover.
So Over My Head Cover Draft 1

So be honest and detailed. First impressions? Is this a cover that would make you pick up the book? What would you say the target age range is? What do you like? Dislike? The more specific the more better. ; )

Thanks for the help. We really appreciate it.
See you Friday!

You might also like

So Over My Head and Technical Difficulties First of all, don't forget you have until Thursday evening to get in the running for one of two books...
Book Cover Help! I've been asking your opinions so much lately, I may have to start paying you a consultation fee. It's...
A Frayed Winner Y'all I just finished a book and sent it off, so I am el pooped to the maximo. I can't think of a single...
Where’s My Pool Boy? I just wanted to pop in to let you know I'm taking a blogging vay-kay this week. I will return March...
51 comments

51 Comments so far

1. Deborah October 13th, 2009 3:06 pm

well…i like it but.. i think it looks too young for YA. honestly, if i didn’t know who you were and i was a teen who normally read gossip girl or other YA chick lit, this cover wouldn’t really appeal to me. the other two books, while having animals, did have something girly on the cover. this one doesn’t, therefore it looks it’s targeting really young kids.

of course everyone else will probably disagree with me.

2. Amy October 13th, 2009 3:07 pm

I love collies, and this one is ADORABLE. But I don’t really like the hat on the dog–maybe you could change that.

I’d probably pick up the book though…I mean, there’s a cute dog on the cover. :) I’d also pick it up if it said “Jenny B. Jones.”

3. Colene October 13th, 2009 3:27 pm

i love love love the color choice for this one! and the puppy but frankly hate the hat. he needs a polka dot bow tie or something.

4. Hannah October 13th, 2009 3:33 pm

I agree with Deborah! I’m not really feeling it…it looks like one of those baby touch and feel books. I would get different picture of a Collie (because that dog looks way unhappy) and different hat and definitely bright girly colors!

5. Rachel October 13th, 2009 3:46 pm

I think it is ADORABLE!!!

6. Catrina October 13th, 2009 4:02 pm

As a 15 year old, I disagree that the cover wouldn’t appeal to teens… I personally love this cover. I LOVE the colors and the dog but I agree with Colene about the hat… a tie would be cuter.

7. hannah October 13th, 2009 4:06 pm

it looks fine…. i think that it is awsome how each book is like a mystery. that rocks. cant wait!!

8. hannah October 13th, 2009 4:07 pm

a tie would be cute….

9. Debbie October 13th, 2009 5:18 pm

I love the cover. I think it has a ‘fun’ feel to it but I think it should be girl-ied up a little as it does look like a book for little kids. If I had just scrolled down and seen the picture I would think it’s a book for my 9 year old sister.

I would go with purple or pink coloring scheme to help add the girly factor to it. Those are just my thoughts though. :)

Deb

10. Carman Boley October 13th, 2009 5:46 pm

i like the colors, but not the dog. Maybe a different dog would be better… If not the dog, then try it without the hat.

11. hannah October 13th, 2009 6:00 pm

more girly would be good. but thats just me. LOL

12. Erin V October 13th, 2009 6:02 pm

Too young. Why do they insist on putting animals on your covers? At least the pig got a cute handbag. I know the circus story line is crucial, and the dog (that’s all I’m gonna say for people looking for SPOILERS), but it’s just so little kid looking with that hat.

13. Katie P. October 13th, 2009 6:22 pm

SO CUTE! But I wish she could win Luke once and for all!! : )

14. Emily October 13th, 2009 6:55 pm

I love how there was farm animals with crowns and handbags, cuz it had used the theme glam-meets-farm. I don’t really like this one cuz it lost the glam theme. I also agree with not liking the color.

15. hannah October 13th, 2009 7:36 pm

I like the color. But not the hat. It looks like a childrens book with the hat. But I like the color. But, I think it would be better if you went back to the original color that was on the first two books. :)

16. Paris October 13th, 2009 7:59 pm

I love the other two covers but this one doesn’t seem to go with the others. Something a little more girly maybe :]

by the way, me and my sister luv the series!

17. Natalie October 13th, 2009 8:43 pm

Omg its so cute!!!!!
    I personally think its adorable!!

18. Stephanie October 13th, 2009 8:50 pm

Is the collie a male or female dog? Because I think that makes a difference. Why not try a different carnival-type theme. Like a clown nose or big clown bow tie w/polka dots. then I don’t believe it would seem quite as kiddie. Can’t wait for Book #2 to be out!

19. Carla October 13th, 2009 9:50 pm

I love the colors. Very grown up and mature colors. I agree with the dog issues. The hat really doesn’t fit and he does look unhappy. A bow tie might help but maybe the dog in a different pose may help. Maybe have a dog covering its eyes, or hiding, or sitting with a jumping hoop. Keep the color scheme. Can’t wait for I’m So Sure!!

20. Ally October 14th, 2009 2:11 am

I agree with Debbie, it looks a little too young. I’m 15, and I probably wouldn’t buy it if it didn’t say Jenny B Jones. I think the background is what makes it look too young. And, yes, a tie would be much cuter, plus the breed of dog is a bit too big. I think it would look cool if a smaller, short haired dog had on an oversized tie & bigger party hat. I love the writing though, and the title :) ))
    ally XX

21. Dani October 14th, 2009 5:38 am

i agree on the color thing. i’m thinking blue would match the other covers better than the yellow.
    i also dont really like the hat, but i love the dog. maybe you could add something to girly it up. like the pig had the purse and the cow had the tiara.

22. Salle October 14th, 2009 7:50 am

ok Friend….I like the whole theme your going for, but think it would be funnier if it was a boxer or a boston terrier with that head cocked confused look on their face…and i’m not just saying that because of daisy. Yea and i’m not all about the hat.

23. Jenny B. Jones October 14th, 2009 7:58 am

Thanks for all the comments, guys! Keep ‘em coming! I appreciate the honesty–it’s just what we need.

24. Robyn October 14th, 2009 9:58 am

I really like the background colours! But the dog just isn’t working for me. The cover looks like it’s meant for much younger, and to me, it doesn’t fit the other two books. Someone above said the other two were glam meets farm, and this cover doesn’t have the farm or the glam. I know it’s tricky cuz you’re going with the storyline, but the dog doesn’t seem to fit, and the hat kind of looks like a traffic cone to me, lol. Can the cute little pig be tied back in? With a killer scarf or something?

Can’t wait for the second book, and no matter what the third cover looks like, it will have Jenny B Jones on it, so that’s a win!

25. Heather October 14th, 2009 10:19 am

Not feeling like it’s YA..feels a little more middle school”ish”/elementary”ish”. The dog is adorable though, and I like the hat, but agree that a tie would be cute. Also, maybe add something on the right side…kind of bare. But, of COURSE, the cover could be the dumbest thing ever and I’d still pick it up because it has YOUR NAME on it as the author…I know…I’m your biggest fan!

26. Darcie Gudger October 14th, 2009 1:28 pm

I’m a Sheltie owner (some people call them little collies even though the breeds are very different), so the dog appeals to me. I agree w/ a lot of the comments. Not liking the hat. I’d rather see the dog in some sort of acrobatic (elegant) attire? That would glam it up for the trendy teen :) (although the teens I work with consider pajama pants high fashion ;D). But that’s just one opinion out of many.

27. Debbie October 14th, 2009 1:29 pm

I agree with Heather. Dumbest Cover Ever + Your Name on It = $ales. Either way, it’s a win, right? :)

Debbie

28. Lauren October 14th, 2009 1:29 pm

It’s REALLY cute. But it doesn’t really go with the title. I think there should be something that lives with something over their head, like…A FISH! A little Goldfish swimming around in it’s bowl, looking sad and derpessed. Yep, that makes you wanna pick up the book and read it!

29. MeganRebekah October 14th, 2009 1:32 pm

I agree that the picture is cute, but feels a bit childish. It looks almost like a sweet dog going to a 5 year olds b-day party.

The other covers had something more teenish about them. And I do think that the hat is the main culprit here :)

30. Sarah October 14th, 2009 1:35 pm

I read the comments above and agree with most of them. It should be farm animal meets girly to match with the other covers. Maybe a chicken or duck in high heels or with a tube of lipstick or fingernail polish or something like that. I don’t like the yellow background either. Light blue would match the series colors better and look more girly.

31. C.J. Darlington October 14th, 2009 1:36 pm

I LOVE dogs, so I’d definitely pick this up with a smile. However, it does look like a Sheltie on there, not a Collie. Can’t wait to see what you come up with! I personally don’t love girlie covers (which this is not), but that’s just me. :)

32. emily October 14th, 2009 1:49 pm

First of all, I cannot even imagine all the many steps and sweat you’ve gone through to get to this point! Congrats! I love the book synopsis. Sounds so fun…

Not a big fan of the dog on the cover. Seems like a book for younger kids rather than teenaged. Good luck and thanks for letting us give you our big ‘ole opinions!

33. Nicole October 14th, 2009 2:09 pm

I agree it looks like a Sheltie. I wouldn’t pick up the book for my 13 year old and do agree it looks like it’s designed for young children. I think a dog incorporated into additional plot-implicating artwork could be appealing, but this doesn’t do it for the YA genre stipulation. I’d hate to have to sell a book solely on my name as an author. New readers wouldn’t be as inclined to pick it up in spite of the cover.

34. Nicole October 14th, 2009 2:11 pm

(That’s a 13 year old granddaughter who is a ravenous reader. Sorry.)

35. Sandra October 14th, 2009 2:16 pm

I noticed that some people are saying this dog is to large. I went to a Pet Parade and the cutiest dogs were twins, I think, and were miniature Collies, about a foot tall. They looked exactly like the dog on the cover. The girl parading the dogs was about 15 or 16 years old and was so proud of her dogs. I can’t imagine that the dog would be to young for a 15 year old to by the book. I like the cover.

36. Rachel Hauck October 14th, 2009 2:37 pm

Love it! So cute!

37. Natasha October 14th, 2009 4:36 pm

I think this cover is missing the sense of whimsy the previous two books had. On So Not Happening, the pig had a cute little smile, and on I’m So Sure, the cow was sticking out her tongue. This dog, while cute, seems bland and predictable in comparison.

38. C.J. Darlington October 14th, 2009 5:29 pm
  39. Timothy Fish October 14th, 2009 8:56 pm

Cute dog, but to stay consistent with the other books, it ought to be a horse, a donkey, a mule or something. I think I’d go with the donkey, since it would seem more out of place at a circus than the other two. A dog in a clown hat doesn’t look out of place at all.

40. Judith Millar October 14th, 2009 10:56 pm

Not quite as much fun as the others. The comical charm is lacking. A little too much like the line of pet greeting cards you can buy at PetSmart, or see at Halloween – ordinary pets in costumes (plus lacking a girly accessory).

41. Amy @ My Friend Amy October 15th, 2009 1:16 am

Okay um, love the dog, not digging the cover from the standpoint of casual shopper. From standpoint of, I already love your books…yes I like it. Take that for what it’s worth.

42. Hannah October 15th, 2009 1:54 pm

The dog is adorable, but I’d lose the hat. Maybe a polka-dot bow tie, or those clown pinafores. And maybe a brighter shade of orange? That color reminds me more of pumpkins at Thanksgiving.

43. caleigh October 15th, 2009 4:54 pm

to cuit i love anmlis and dogs and pigs are my abslot fav i think in’y body that can rede is going to pik it up i love your book so not happening im only in chapter 22 but it is grat thanks for riting you are my fav ather :) i <3 your books!

44. caleigh October 16th, 2009 1:04 pm

i love the cover but i think it needs somthing and the hat looks a litle litle kidish love your books your my fav ather !)

45. adrienne October 16th, 2009 8:03 pm

Umm… it would definitely make me look twice. But it does look a little young. I’m not 100% sure I’d pick up the book. BUT with that cover I might just because you don’t see a cover like that everyday, and if I did I’d probably buy it.

46. Patty October 17th, 2009 2:49 pm

honestly, i’m not really into the puppy… or the hat. it’s cute but not something that screams PICK ME UP AND BUY ME RIGHT NOW.

47. Sheila October 17th, 2009 7:21 pm

I hate it. Is that wrong? You wanted honesty. It doesn’t seem to “go” with the other two books. The dog looks like it belongs to some old lady. And a dog isnt a rural animal like a cow or a pig is. Is this still in Oklahoma? The dog does NOT convey Oklahoma. And the color scheme is reminiscent of “Family Ties”. Was this book published in 1985? I love your books, but that cover is gross.

48. amanda October 31st, 2009 2:11 pm

that dogs adorable but like sheila said its not going with the hole farm animal idea they should have some goose or a rooster in clown shoes that would be funny
    but any way im not a big reader and as soon as i picted up so not happening at parebles i couldnt stop reading and that would be a great complement for jenny

49. Lauren February 25th, 2010 3:10 pm

I think a brighter color for the background would be better. I love how the first two both have bright, perky colors on the front! :) I think the collie is really cute though!!

50. Kiara. December 21st, 2010 6:24 pm

I love it! Isn’t that Peg?
    Yeah I have been reading your books and I love them! <3
    It would look cute if the dog's head was tilting a little bit! But if it doesn't, it is still adorable!
    :D

51. Fallon D. March 15th, 2011 6:41 pm

I have to say this cover is better because it goes along with the other two books, the dog, I can’t remember her name right now sorry, is very important to the story, and I think it’s adorable. :)