Book Cover Help!

I've been asking your opinions so much lately, I may have to start paying you a consultation fee. It's time for book cover feedback! I love looking at book covers, and I know a lot of you do too. Your feedback on the last two books in A Charmed Life series have helped shape our cover decisions. So once again, it's time to get vocal and opinionated.

Hey, guys, we need some feedback on the cover for So Over My Head, book 3 in A Charmed Life series. The cool folks at Thomas Nelson are changing the cover up a bit. Probably not going to go with an animal for this one. I suggested a Sphynx cat, but they wouldn't go for a hairless pet.

This is a YA book, target age 12-17. In this final installment of the series, a circus comes to town, and so does Luke's ex-girlfriend. Not only does Bella have to stop her dad's wedding, possibly win back her boyfriend, but she has to go undercover to find out who killed Betty the Bearded Lady. Bella Kirkwood is in so over her head.

Just a reminder Bella is seventeen, a crime-solving fashionista, and a former Manhattan socialite now living in rural Oklahoma.

Okay, here are three possibilities. Let me know what you think (and why)!

Option 1
SoOverNew10[2]

Option 2
SoOverNew11[1]

Option 3
SoOverNew12[1]

So give me total honesty here. Overall impressions? What do you like? Dislike? Age appropriate? Good visual representation of Bella? Does it hold up to other YA covers out there? Would the cover make you pick it up? Cover 1, 2, 3, or none of the above? I would LOVE any comments. Any and all feedback really helps.

Let's hear what you think. Fire away!

Hannahfrances. - November 28, 2009

hey jenny! i love #2. i think its the best one. number 3 is so random, and it looks like the flower is up her nose. the fairst one is a really bad picture of bella, but the second one is PERFECT! i love these books and can’t wait to read the new one!

Rachael - November 30, 2009

My favorite is probably #2… it displays a feeling of being young and overwhelmed.
but #1 is okay too.
however, i dont really like #3… it doesnt seem to fit Bella’s personality very well, to me.

I still would vote for an animal, though.
…maybe something circus-y? like a lion and a hoop or something 🙂

JenniB.L. - November 30, 2009

I agree with ChristianGirl from Nov. 24th, the animal idea sounds fantastic. I personally think that a picture of Moxie or maybe one of Dolly’s Horses.

Kim K - December 1, 2009

I like option 2!!! its awesome.

hannah - December 2, 2009

just my opinion- in the back of IM SO SURE was a sneak peak of so over my head and they had a page with like- circus tents, sorta faded out. i thought that was really cool.

also the other books were farm animal related. this might stand out.

Lauren - December 4, 2009

cover no. 2 all the way!!!

Katie Jones - December 4, 2009

I personall liked the dog. it has more to do with the book you said, right? So… why not thet one? these just don’t match the rest. I don’t like it, but thats my opinion.

Megan Reither - December 7, 2009

I like option one…i love the color of that girls eyes!!

jessie - December 7, 2009

omg i love #2 but maby the stripes arnt really bellas thing if u do hav the stripes maby u could change the color. by the way love you books “so not happening” and “im so sure” rocked!

Courtney - December 7, 2009

#1 is my first choice, but #2 is very fun and attention grabbing. She looks more serious in #1 than in #2. If u want serious go for #1 if not go for #2.

Jourdyn - December 18, 2009

i like opt. 2. the other two i think ar sort of dumb. the third one doesnt even look like how i thought bella looked like. in the back of my book there is a big top on the front and i think that is the way to go if you don’t choose the bubble one =)

Judy - December 24, 2009

I agree with Jourdyn: i like #2 the best, and if you don’t go with that one i would say go with the one that’s at the back of I’m So Sure.

rebecca - December 26, 2009

I like option #2…. option #1 she has blue eyes…. and she is supposed to have brown eyes, I love the option #2!

pamela - December 26, 2009

stick with the animals! for the two first books, it has animals. people will be like huh? to find bella on the cover. stick with the animals. that would make everything in line.

and JUST BETWEEN YOU AND ME was an amazing book. hopefully more of those books will hit the bookstore’s shelf in 2010!

Emily - December 31, 2009

option 2 with the bubble gum would be awesome, but it would also be neat to do another animal with glam. Maybe a sheep with lots of bling or someother animal =)

Bryana - January 4, 2010

I LOVE # 1. It shows us more of Bella. It gives us a taste of her more.

Sarah D Wilson - January 5, 2010

Totally number two… But I think It would be super kool if you did another animal front cover… I don’t know, but seeing a girl on the cover, sort of “ruins” my image of Bella in my head… 😉 It’s fine though… but that’s just my opinion… I think an animal would be best… I like the dog with the clown hat idea! 😉

Nari - January 7, 2010

I don’t feel Bella in all of these covers unfortunately!:(
I like the dog….

sahara - January 20, 2010

WHAT! awwwwwww. i got excited about the cover with the dog on it, and none of the covers up the page even look like bella(even though i dont what she looks like)I LOVE YOUR BOOKS. I CANT WAIT TO READ “SO OVER MY HEAD” i know it will be awesome!

Angelina - March 18, 2010

Definitely number 2, I think it goes with her personality, the other two don’t go with it at all. CAN’T WAIT TILL IT COMES OUT!! I CAN’T WAIT TO READ IT!!!! 🙂

Saskia - August 20, 2010

I like the book cover you chose, I’ve read it alreadya nd luved it! Tell us who the model’s name is!!! plzzz!

Grace - September 29, 2011

I read the book and L-O-V-E-D it and I think that the cover shows exactly what Bella looks like. I might be alone on this but I think the last option looks like Christina the evil-almost stepmother of Bella…? Something about that cover looks like she is a Brazilian money hunter…..:)