Book Cover Help

We are still trying to get a great cover for the YA novel So Over It. I would LOVE your input on the latest cover ideas. So give me total honesty here. Overall impressions? What do you like? Dislike? Too young? Too old? Does it hold up to other YA covers out there? Do you have a favorite? None of the above? Would the cover make you pick it up? I would LOVE any comments. Any and all feedback really helps.

This is a YA book, target age 12-17. In this final installment of the series, a carnival comes to town, as well as Luke’s ex-girlfriend. Not only does Bella have to stop her dad’s wedding, possibly win back her boyfriend, but she has to go undercover to find out who killed Betty the Bearded Lady. Bella Kirkwood is so over her head.

Option 1
SoOverNew4a

Option 2
SoOverNew4b

Option 3
SoOverNew4c

Thanks for the help, guys.

Comments

1. Sabrina says

Hey, I really liked the last cover with the girl on it. I think it fit better, and it was a little more grown up. But if you’re sticking with the elephants then I like number one. :)

2. says

am i going to sound horrible because i don’t like any of them? *cowers* personally I liked the other choices that had the girl on the cover, but i understand tying in with the other books of having an animal on the cover. maybe it’s just the pose of this elephant that’s not doing anything for me.

3. Marnie Mount says

Hi Jenny,

I am not crazy about any of them either. I thought the previous two covers with the pig and the cow were good, but these are not grabbing me like the other two did. If I did have to chose one of these three it would be the first one. The last one I do not care for the hat and definitely did not like that you can see the elephants chain.

Love your books though! My daughter can’t wait for this one to come out. I love how you write–it is so engaging, witty and fun and definitely true to life. Look forward to reading more of your books.

Best regards,
    Marnie

4. Colene says

out of the three i like the first. i like these a lot more than the girl cover ones. have they considered using a monkey?
    i agree about not being able to see the elephants chain. big downer. what are the white threads coming from his feet?
    im not fond of the trim at the top at all…
    hope it helps!

5. says

I love the idea of an elephant for a book with a circus in the plot! But like someone else said, I’m not too crazy about the elephant’s pose. I don’t like the pink scarf in the first one, or the very obvious chain in the last one…so I guess the second one?

I love the colors and the circus-style half circles across the top. Like I said, I love the idea of an elephant…but maybe in a different way? I like these a lot better than the last ones, though. They tie in with the other two books much better.

6. says

I don’t really like any of them. I understand the elephant tying into the carnival theme, but I wish there was another animal on the cover. The elephant is just not cute enough. Maybe a horse. It’s dirty enough to freak Bella out but can be dressed up pretty well.

But, if I have to pick one of the three, I pick the first one. The pink scarf stands out and resonates with the diva that is Bella.

7. Lindsay says

I’m not a big fan of any of them. I know it’s supposed to go with the carnival theme but they just look kind of tacky.

8. says

If you could do the top cover with the bottom cover’s hat on it, or the bottom cover with the top cover’s scarf on it, that would be perfect! Bottom hat, top scarf. (Oops, just noticed that Suzanne said the same thing).

If there are no alterations allowed, I’d pick the first (top) cover. The bottom one is cute, but the chain makes it look too gangsta.

9. says

Not crazy about any of them, I’d definitely vote the middle one out. I like the pink scarf (first one) best, but I think it would be cute to have the elephant wearing the pink scarf and pink hat from the third one.

10. Katie P. says

I didn’t like the girl because it totally doesn’t go with the animal themes before it. Also, it doesn’t make me feel better when a size 0 is on the front cover. Sorry. I liked the sheltie from before better than the elephant. Maybe you could go with the pig/cow theme and do a cat or a duck!

11. Tracey Bateman says

Going with an elephant seems to childish for that age group. That’s just my opinion. More domesticated animals might work better…cat, dog, goldfish, bird, (even a baby chick)

12. Joanne says

Haha, I just had to come on the website today and tell you that I finally got a copy of I’m So Sure… and promptly stayed up until 2:45 AM reading it. For a working girl, it wasn’t the smartest thing I could have done.

But I think if I had to choose I’d go with the first elephant. The pink scarf works best. I can’t wait until it comes out, regardless of the cover. Keep up the awesome work!

13. hope says

love hat #3 and scarf #1 is cute. don’t like the feet very much or the pose. what about just the head sort of looming over the “over my head” title…?

I really like the idea, but the elephant is somehow wrong. I think others are correct – it’s the pose…

14. says

I have to agree with Tracey (and several others). The elephant seems too juvenile for this book, and not something a teenager would carry around. What about the idea of Bella’s cat? He could be adorned with some kind of circus-y attire. Or a circus horse, which would connect the themes of rural animals and circus animals. If you do stick with the elephant, a different pose would help… like just her head. Hey, no matter what cover you end up with, I know the inside will be great!

15. Erin V says

I guess your publishers want to finish the theme of animals, so if it HAS to be an elephant, go with the first one. The pink scarf is eyecatching – although I don’t know why she’s got a pizza on her head… You’d think somebody would spare that poor pachyderm’s dignity.

16. says

I think the cover should be black, white, and red and the elephant should have a tiny drop of blood dripping from the corner of its mouth. Ok, so I just got back from the Barnes & Noble YA section and all I can see is black, white, and red and dripping blood. Sorry. Next time I’ll keep my useless opinion to myself.

17. Cassidy says

I like the second one better. The scarf just looks better. Maybe you could add the pink hat. It would make me pick it up. It’s not normally what people use. It’s cute and fun = )
    Hope I helped! = D

18. says

Writing all this down. Keep it coming. And Evangeline, I think blood and fangs makes any book cover better. (Whether it’s relevant or not…) And even the YA section at Wal-Mart is a lovely shade of black. All of it. Interesting…

19. says

Evangeline, don’t you mean the vampire section? :) That’s what I call the YA section at Border’s.

As for the cover, Numero Uno…for sure. (But only because we can’t have blood and fangs!)

20. adrienne says

Definitely #2. Number three is scary… to me, and number one clashes for some reason. I would pick up book number two or one, but not three. Also is the elephant supposed to be a girl or boy? If it’s a girl, number one. If it’s a boy, number two.

21. says

Hi jenny 😀 Its me Tammy, lol
    I think number one is the best one..I dont like the scarf in number 2, to me it doesnt look good with the pink cover of the book, but number one is soo cute!!!

-Tammy :)

22. ashton says

i love the first one with the pink scarf. The pink scarf grabs your attention and makes you want to read the books. the colors on the background are Very eye catching!Great job love the first one! :)
    god bless
    -ashton:)

23. Liana says

I agree with everyone else, not too crazy about these but the first one probably grabs my attention the most.
    on christianbook website (www.christianbook.com) ages ago i typed in so over my head and it came up with your book only the cover was with a dog on it. Where did that one come from?

24. says

Out of the options, I like the first one best. I’m 16, and I think the the carnival and animal theme is good for this book, but I would love to see what the character Bella looks like for a change. I always love it when authors have their character as the cover :) But these are cute too, although the elephant pose is a little awkward maybe…

25. hannah says

the last looks like the elephant is some punk rapper dude, the second one doesn’t match, i’d go with the first. more themed together, its hard to explain, but its just better 😀

26. hannah says

yeah then again i like 3’s hat, the scarf in 1 and 2 didn’t go—- maybe a ribbon or some sorta circus thingy that an elephant wears around his neck. im not really an animal person- but the charmed life series is great 😀

27. hannah says

then again i agree with erin v:

“I STILL don’t get the animal covers. When the right cover is so important, especially with young adults, why do they keep choosing little kiddie covers? And, seriously, so BADLY photo-shopped.

In the end, your writing is brilliant, and the Bella stories are marvelous, and that’s what matters the most. When they hit the millions and millions of copies mark and they re-issue, somebody with some sense will ditch the photo-shopped animals.”

the animals do seem a little kiddie, but id still buy the book- id prefer a different theme- like budge’s car, bella’s bug, or a tractor to go on the cover. im not really girly so maybe a darker color pallete….

28. hannah says

i liked the first book, “so not happening” a lot, it seemed spphisticated and cute, the second book not so much

sorry the string of comments! 😀

29. Veronica says

The pose makes the elephant look like its about to do a tribal dance! Or maybe i have a very wierd imagination! Love the pink hat and scarf! What about a monkey standing on top of a white horse with showgirl feathers and the monkey could have a pink hat!

30. Samantha says

I am the only one that is slightly alarmed at the fact that this is the last book!? You really like trilogies don’t you? And is that pizza on the elephant’s head?? I love the pink!

31. says

Just finished the first two books in this series… loved them! I totally picture an Emma Roberts type for Bella… hmmm… anyone know a producer who’s desk we can plant a copy of So Not Happening on??? This would be so great on the big screen… but only because it is so well written as literature first! Can’t wait for the third! My little two cents about the cover… i love everything about it except the elephant. Maybe it’s the way she’s squatting? Doesn’t matter. I’ll read it regardless :)

32. C. says

Out of the options, I like the middle one, just because the pink scarf adds a little color and looks…jaunty or something? I like the elephant idea. I just think somethings missing…Dunno, Maybe it’s just the paint pallete and the canvas;)

33. morgan says

The best one was the one with Bella in front of the carnival tent, and the new ones do not catch my eye as much as the first one. It looks like a some kids played dress up with an elephant. I might do something that has Bella is clown clothes next to Luke. (It would be awesome to see what Luke looks like.) I can’t wait to read your next book. Your writing is amazing and I am counting the days until May!